The Greene Crow & Smith Scholarship demonstrates our commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion by providing professional and financial support to college students at the outset of their college career. The scholarship is awarded to graduating high school seniors who are the children of incarcerated parents, and who exhibit academic excellence and a commitment to community service.
Applicants must have the equivalent of a 2.50 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale. The Greene Crow & Smith scholarship is open to high school seniors in Craven, Pamlico, Jones, and Carteret Counties whose parent or guardian has been incarcerated, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship, veteran status, age, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The Greene Crow & Smith Scholarship is designed for use at any accredited 2- or 4-year college/university, trade school, or technical school, to provide the recipient unique professional development opportunities and financial support to create a foundation for sustained success. The scholarship consists of the following components:
- Summary Associate Position. The recipient will receive a paid summer clerkship during the summer following their first year in college.
- Financial Award. The recipient is eligible to receive a $2,500.00 award payable in two $1,250.00 increments, first at the time the recipient is awarded the scholarship prior to their first year of college and second if the recipient accepts the summer clerkship with the firm and has satisfactory grades during the first year of college.
- Dedicated Professional Mentor. The recipient will be assigned an attorney mentor from our firm. The mentor will serve as a resource for navigating college, summer clerkship experience, and other development opportunities throughout college.
To apply, please submit the application form below, including the following required documents:
- Your résumé
- A personal statement (no more than two pages in length) reflecting how has your life been influenced by having a parent incarcerated, as well as your involvement in local community service
- An official transcript of your high school grades
Scholarship Submission Form
The Greene Crow & Smith Selection Committee will review completed applications and determine which candidate(s) will be selected for an interview.
The application period is open until May 1, 2021. Questions regarding the Greene Crow & Smith Scholarship can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.