Being accused of a criminal charge in North Carolina can be a very stressful situation. During such a serious time, you need an experienced North Carolina misdemeanor lawyer or felony lawyer who will provide you with competent representation and realistic, honest advice about your criminal case. Whether you’re charged with a misdemeanor or felony, we provide representation for criminal law defense in many areas, including:
(including but not limited to the following)
- Simple Assault and Assault on a Female
- Assault on a Government Official
- Assault with a Deadly Weapon
- Child Abuse
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Violation of a 50-B (Domestic Violence Protective Order)
- Possession of Marijuana
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Shoplifting/Concealment of Goods
- Misdemeanor Larceny
- Possession of Stolen Goods
- Trespassing (First Degree and Second Degree)
- Communicating Threats
- Resisting a Police/Law Enforcement Officer
- Underage Drinking
North Carolina Misdemeanor Categories
In North Carolina, there are four categories of misdemeanors: A1, 1, 2, and 3. With each category, there are different punishments.
- Class A1 misdemeanors –Thisis the most serious misdemeanor. A person who is charged with a Class A1 misdemeanor faces a maximum penalty of 150 days in jail, as well as a fine that may be imposed at the discretion of the Court.
- Class 1 misdemeanors – A person who is charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor faces a maximum penalty of 120 days in jail, as well as a fine that may be imposed at the discretion of the Court.
- Class 2 misdemeanors– A person who is charged with a Class 2 misdemeanor faces a maximum penalty of sixty 60 days in jail, as well as a fine that may be imposed at the discretion of the Court, although the fine may not exceed $1,000.
- Class 3 misdemeanors – A person who is charged with a Class 3 misdemeanor faces a maximum penalty of twenty 20 days in jail, as well as a fine that may be imposed at the discretion of the Court, although the fine may not exceed $200.
At Greene Crow & Smith, Our Criminal Defense Attorneys Are Dedicated to the Protection of Our Clients’ Constitutional Freedoms and Respect for Their Individual Circumstances.
We’re here to guide you through the complicated, frightening, and often frustrating process known as the criminal justice system. We provide criminal law services at all levels in eastern North Carolina, including misdemeanor and felony trial defense, and post-conviction appellate work in both state and federal court. Contact us now for a consultation.
Greene Crow & Smith, PA help residents of NC with misdemeanor defense including those located in New Bern, Pamlico County, and Craven County.